Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Northeast band scene - GAYYYYYYYY!!!

So I got this idea in my head I'd get back to playing in a band. I used to play in bands in the 80's and have been out of the scene for a while.

Since then things have changed, and not for the better. First there seems to be a lot less bands and musicians wanting to form bands out there. It kind of makes sense, video games and other forms of entertainment have gained more interest and less people are taking up instruments.

The thing that REALLY sucks though, is age snottism. Basically most of the bands want all the members to be within about five years of each other. Now I can see wanting to have the same musical style interests, but you have both 20 somethings and 50 somethings who are into Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, The Doors, Floyd, etc. I can't speak for the west coast, midwest or other areas, so I'm not sure if this is nation wide or just a New England thing. What I do know is that it sucks, because it narrows down the already dwindling number of bands exponentially.

This attitude was almost non existent when I played in the 80's. Back then it was about the MUSIC, people sharing a common interest in songs and jamming. A band I was in had members in their 20's with a drummer in his 50's and no one thought anything about it. Could they do the job was the ONLY concern. A few years later I was in a band where the singer was in his late 50's. No one cared.

I mean, just what is it with the age thing? Is it because they'd feel awkward when they all got into a circle to fuck each other in the ass if a member was too old or young? If bands want to SUCK less, they need to focus more on the music and LESS on their image.





No comments:

Post a Comment