Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Guitar Techs

 Ever have to deal with repair people? You know, like the auto mechanic, or maybe computer techs? Was it good for you? It hasn't always been fun for me. Especially regarding guitar techs. It's always the same thing. Me: "my guitar has fret buzz, can you get rid of it?" Guitar tech: "Sure, no problem." A week to over a month later the guitar comes back and still has fret buzz. If I'm lucky it's been reduced somewhat, I've had guys make it worse. What the fuck is it with those guys anyway; I didn't ask to have fret buzz reduced, I asked to have it GONE!! Sure, I can hand it back, and have my guitar gone for another week to month, but if they couldn't get it right the first time, I just don't have any confidence a second try will give me better results. I've played guitars with no fret buzz, my Schecter C1 Classic doesn't have it so I KNOW it's possible to set up a guitar to eliminate it. I have a theory on this. There are essentially two types of guitar techs. Mediocre, and highly competent but busy. The mediocre guys just don't have the skills to get rid of fret buzz, at least on some guitars. The highly skilled guys can, but they tend to be backed up with work, so if your name isn't Joe Perry from Aerosmith or Eddie Van Halen, they are not going to take the time to do it right. With these guys the fret buzz will be reduced, but not eliminated. I suppose if you hound them you can get the job done right, but these are the guys that typically have a month turn around, so good luck there. I've heard of people who have had good experiences with guitar techs, but I never have and I'm sick of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment